Image processing plays a one of the important vital role in developing real world application is an Image Segmentation, which is used widely in Computer vision for the purpose of object tracking and to identify image boundaries. It aims at extracting meaningful objects lying in the image. Generally there is no unique method or approach for image segmentation The different algorithms used in Image segmentation are Clustering-based, Region-based and Edge based. Image segmentation is the division or separation of an image into multiple segments i.e. set of pixels, pixels in a region are similar according to some criterion such as color, intensity or texture. This paper gives the view about the methods in image segmentation such as thresholding, k-means clustering, grab-cut method and graph -cut method. Every method is discussed along with its advantage and disadvantages which helps us in deciding which the best and efficient method of image segmentation is. The main aim of the paper is to come out with the more efficient method in image segmentation which can be used for real world application development.
- F. C. Monteiro and A. Campilho, "Watershed framework to region-based image segmentation," in Proc. International Conference on Pattern Recognition, ICPR 19th, pp. 1-4, 2008.
- M. Hameed, M. Sharif, M. Raza, S. W. Haider, and M. Iqbal, "Framework for the comparison of classifiers for medical image segmentation with transform and moment based features," Research Journal of Recent Sciences, vol. 2277, p. 2502, 2012
- R. Patil and K. Jondhale, "Edge based technique to estimate number of clusters in k-means color image segmentation," in Proc. 3rd IEEE International Conference on Computer Science and Information Technology (ICCSIT), pp. 117-121, 2010.
- W. Cui and Y. Zhang, "Graph based multispectral high resolution image segmentation," in Proc. International Conference on Multimedia Technology (ICMT), pp. 1-5, 2010.
- A. Fabijanska, "Variance filter for edge detection and edge-basedimage segmentation," in Proc. International Conference on Perspective Technologies and Methods in MEMS Design (MEMSTECH), pp. 151-154, 2011.
- S. Zhu, X. Xia, Q. Zhang, and K. Belloulata, "An image segmentation algorithm in image processing based on threshold segmentation," in Proc. Third International IEEE Conference on Signal-Image Technologies and Internet-Based System, SITIS'0., pp. 673-678, 2007.
- A. Xu, L. Wang, S. Feng, and Y. Qu, "Threshold-based level set method of image segmentation," in Proc. 3rd International Conference on Intelligent Networks and Intelligent Systems (ICINIS), pp. 703-706, 2010.
- M. Yasmin, M. Sharif, S. Masood, M. Raza, and S. Mohsin, "Brain image enhancement-A survey," World Applied Sciences Journal, vol. 17, pp. 1192-1204, 2012.
- F. Jiang, M. R. Frater, and M. Pickering, "Threshold-based image segmentation through an improved particle swarm optimisation," in Proc. International Conference on Digital Image Computing Techniques and Applications (DICTA), pp. 1-5, 2012.
- D. Barbosa, T. Dietenbeck, J. Schaerer, J. D'hooge, D. Friboulet, and O. Bernard, "B-spline explicit active surfaces: An efficient framework for real-time 3-D region-based segmentation," IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, vol. 21, pp. 241-251, 2012.
- G. Chen, T. Hu, X. Guo, and X. Meng, "A fast region-based image segmentation based on least square method," in Proc. IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, SMC, pp. 972-977, 2009.
- Z. Hua, Y. Li, and J. Li, "Image segmentation algorithm based on improved visual attention model and region growing," in Proc. 6th International Conference on Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), pp. 1-4, 2010.
- S. M. M. Sharif, M. J. Jamal, M. Y. Javed, and M. Raza, "Face recognition for disguised variations using gabor feature extraction," Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, vol. 5, pp. 1648-1656, 2011.
- M. Sharif, S. Mohsin, M. Y. Javed, and M. A. Ali, "Single image face recognition using laplacian of gaussian and discrete cosine transforms," Int. Arab J. Inf. Technol., vol. 9, pp. 562-570, 2012.
- T. Mei, C. Zheng, and S. Zhong, "Hierarchical region based Markov random field for image segmentation," in Proc. International Conference on Remote Sensing, Environment and Transportation Engineering (RSETE), pp. 381-384, 2011.
- J. S. M. Sharif, S. Mohsin, and M Raza, "Sub-holistic hidden markov model for face recognition," Research Journal of Recent Sciences, vol. 2, pp. 10-14, 2013.
- Yubing Li, Jinbo Zhang, Peng Gao, Liangcheng Jiang, Ming Chen, "Grab Cut Image Segmentation Based On Image Region", IEEE International Conference on Image, Vision and Computing, pp 312-315, 2018