The paper deals with an imaging computer tomography method based on simple image processing techniques for two phase flow analysis. Moreover, it has been presented the algorithm of 3D bubble trajectory reconstruction using a single high speed camera and the system of mirrors. In the experiment a glass tank filled with distilled water was used. The nozzle through which the bubbles were generated was placed in the center of the tank bottom. Through the use of basic image processing and analysis techniques such as noise reduction, smoothing, edge detection and few algorithms like close contour filling, tracking single bubble etc. proposed in paper it became possible to draw out 3D trajectories for gas bubble paths in liquid. In the paper the measurement error of imaging computer tomography method has been estimated. The maximum measurement error recorded for this method was within the limits ±0,65 [mm] for a certain set of parameters like: resolution, mirror angle and deviation error of z axis from the 90o vertical line. Trajectories of subsequently departing bubbles were visualized in the form of figures.
- A.W.G. de Vries, A. Biesheuvel, L van Wijngaarde, 2002, Notes on the path and wake of a gas bubble rising in pure water, International Journal of Multiphase Flow, vol. 28, 11, 1823-1835.
- Augustyniak J., Perkowski D.M, Mosdorf R., 2015, Measurement of properties of chaotic bubble paths, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 85, 732–739.
- Aybers N.M., Tapucu A., 1969, The motion of gas bubbles rising through stagnant liquid, Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 2, 118-128.
- C. Lin, M. Gilberston, A. Harrison, 2007, Bubble distribution and behavior in bubbling fluidized beds, Chemical Engineering Science, vol 62, 56-69.
- Canny J., 1986, A Computational Approach To Edge Detection, IEEE Trans. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 8(6):679–698.
- Ding H., Song ZY., 2007, Hilbert–Huang transform based signal analysis for the characterization of gas–liquid two-phase flow, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, vol. 18, 37-46.
- Ding L., Goshtasby A., 2001, On the Canny edge detector, Pattern Recognition, nr. 34, 721-725.
- Dzienis P., Mosdorf R., 2014, Stability of periodic bubble departures at a low frequency, Chemical Engineering Science, 109, 171–182.
- Dzienis P., Mosdorf R., Wyszkowski T., 2012, The dynamics of liquid movement inside the nozzle during the bubble departures for low air volume flow rate, acta mechanica et automatica, vol.6 no.3.
- Ellingsen K., Risso F., 2001, On rise of an ellipsoidal bubble in water: oscillatory paths and liquid induced velocity, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 440.
- Favaro P., Soatto S., 2000, Shape and Radiance Estimation from the Information Divergence of Blurred Images, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 1842, 755-768.
- Hassan N.M.S., Khan M.M.K., Rasul M.G., 2008, A Study of Bubble Trajectory and Drag Co-efficient in Water and Non-Newtonian Fluids, Wseas transition on fluid mechanics, vol.3, no.3.
- Jakubiec W., Malinowski J., 2004, Metrologia wielkości geometrycznych, Wydawnictwa Naukowo-Techniczne – Wydanie czwarte zmienione, 52-93.
- K. Sakakibara, M. Yamada, Y. Miyamoto, 2007, Measurement of the surrounding liquid motion of a single rising bubble using a dual-camera PIV system, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, vol. 18, 211-215.
- Kaehler A., Bradski G., 2008, Learning OpenCV. Computer Vision in C++ with the OpenCV Library. O’Reilly Media.
- Kalman, R. E.,1960, A New Approach to Linear Filtering and Prediction Problems, Journal of Basic Engineering, 82 (1): 35–45.
- Lunde K., Perkins R.,1997, A new experimental method to analyse the dynamics and the morphology of bubbles in liquids: Application to single ellipsoidal bubbles, Fluids Engineering Division Summer Conference, 3530.
- Ohl C.D., Taijink A., Prosperetti A., 2003, The added mass of an expanding bubble, Journal of Fluid Mechanics,, vol. 482, 271-290.
- P.C Duineveld, 1995, The rise velocity and shape of bubbles in pure water at high Reynolds number, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 292, 325-332.
- Rostamzadeh A., Jafarpur K., Rad E. G., 2016, Numerical investigation of pool nucleate boiling in nanofluid with lattice boltzmann method, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, 54, 3, pp. 811-825
- S. Wada, H. Kikura, M. Aritomi, 2006, Pattern recognition techniques in multiphase flow, Flow Measurement and Instrumentation, vol. 17, 207-224.
- Shew W.L., Poncet S., Pinton J-F., 2006, Force measurements on rising bubbles, Journal of Fluid Mechanics, vol. 569, 51-60.
- Taubin G., Moreno D., Build Your Own Desktop 3D Scanner (Chap. 2 & 4).
- Tian Y., Zheng Ch., Ke Q., 2013, A Bubble Detection Algorithm based on Sparse and Redundant Image Processing, Telecommunication Computing Electronics and Control, Vol. 11, No. 6, pp. 2983 - 2990.
- Wacławczyk M., Pozorski J., 2002, Two-point velocity statistics and the POD analysis of the near-wall region in a turbulent channel flow, Journal of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Vol 40, No 4.
- Wróbel Z., Koprowski R., 2004, Przetwarzanie obrazu w programie Matlab, EXIT, Warszawa.