Mobile Ad Hoc Network (MANET) is the one of the type of ad hoc network, the MANET is a collection of two or more devices or nodes or terminals with wireless communications and networking capability that communicate with each other without the aid of any centralized administrator also the wireless nodes that can dynamically form a network to exchange information without using any existing fixed network infrastructure. And it's an autonomous system in which mobile hosts connected by wireless links are free to be dynamically and sometime act as routers at the same time, In MANET, the mobile nodes require to forward packets for each other to enable communication among nodes outside of transmission range. The nodes in the network are free to move independently in any direction, leave and join the network arbitrarily. Thus a node experiences changes in its link states regularly with other devices. Eventually, the mobility in the ad hoc network, change of link states and other properties of wireless transmission such as attenuation, multipath propagation, interference etc. This paper discuses study of Mobile ad-hoc Networks (MANET): classification, characteristics, structure of MANET and challenges that are imposed by Mobile ad-hoc Networks.
- K. S. Ali and U. Kulkarni, "Characteristics, Applications and Challenges in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks (MANET): Overview," Wireless Networks, vol. 3, 2015.
- O. Bang and P. L. Ramteke, "MANET: history, challenges and applications," International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM), vol. 2, pp. 249-251, 2013.
- K. BR, L. C. Reddy, and P. S. Hiremath, "Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Issues, Research Trends And Experiments," 2008.
- M. L. Raja and C. D. S. S. Baboo, "An Overview of MANET: Applications, Attacks and Challenges," International Journal of Computer Science and Mobile Computing (IJCSMC), vol. 3, pp. 408 – 417, 2014.
- S. J. Shivi Sharma, "Mobile Ad Hoc Network: Issues, Research Trend and Challenges," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, vol. 5, pp. 1625 - 1630, 2015.
- T. Qiu, N. Chen, K. Li, D. Qiao, and Z. Fu, "Heterogeneous ad hoc networks: Architectures, advances and challenges," Ad Hoc Networks, vol. 55, pp. 143-152, 2017.
- M. Conti, Body, personal, and local wireless ad hoc networks, in: M. Ilyas (Ed.), Handbook of Ad Hoc Networks, CRC Press, New York, 2003 (Chapter 1).
- M.S. Corson, J.P. Maker, J.H. Cernicione, Internet-based mobile ad hoc networking, IEEE Internet Computing 3 (4) (1999) 63–70.
- W. Stallings, Local & Metropolitan Area Networks, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1996.
- Web site of the IEEE 802.11 WLAN: http://grouper. ieee.org/grups/802/11/main.html.
- Web site of the Bluetooth Special Interest Group: http:// www.bluetooth.com/.
- Y. Bing Lin, I. Chlamtac, Wireless and Mobile Network Architectures, Wiley, New York, 2000.
- Martin Mauve, Jorg Widmer, Hannes Hartenstein, A survey on position-based routing in mobile ad-hoc networks, IEEE Network 15 (6) (2001) 30–39.  S. Basagni, I. Chlamtac, V. Syrotiuk, B. Woodward, A distance routing effect algorithm for mobility (DREAM), in: Proceedings of The Fourth Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MOBICOM _98), Dallas, TX, USA, October 25–30, 1998.
- S. Dhar, "MANET: Applications, Issues, and Challenges for the Future," International Journal of Business Data Communications and Networking (IJBDCN), vol. 1, pp. 66-92, 2005.
- A.J. Goldsmith, S.B. Wicker, Design challenges for energy-constrained ad hoc wireless networks, IEEE Wireless Communications 9 (4) (2002) 8–27.
- Cecilia Mascolo, Licia Capra, Wolfgang Emmerich, Middleware for mobile computing (a survey), in: Enrico Gregori, Giuseppe Anastasi, Stefano Basagni (Eds.),
- Advanced Lectures on Networking, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 2497, Springer, Berlin, 2002.
- Special issue ‘‘Special feature on middleware for mobile & pervasive’’, ACM Mobile Computing and Communications Review 6 (4) (October 2002).
- E. Anceaume, A.K. Datta, M. Gradinariu, G. Simon, Publish/subscribe scheme for mobile networks, in: Proceedings of the ACM Workshop on Principles of Mobile
- Computing 2002, pp. 74–81.
- Bimal H Patel, Parth D Shah, Harikrishna B Jethva, Nishidh Chavda, “Issues and Imperatives of Ad hoc Networks”, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 62 – No.13, January 2013
- I. J. Adnane, A., David, S. and Parrein, B, “Multipath optimized link state routing for mobile ad hoc networks”, Ad hoc Networks 9, pp-28-47, 2011.
- P. Rama Devi and Dr. D. Srinivasa Rao,” Congestion Adaptive Hybrid Multi-path Routing Protocol for Load Balancing in Mobile Ad hoc Networks”, International Journal of Computer Science and Telecommunications ,Volume 3, Issue 12, December 2012.
- Lokesh Malviya, Akhilesh A. Waoo, Sanjay Sharma, “New Load Balanced Multi-Path Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Network”, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 61 – No.19, January 2013.
- www.techoprdia.com/defination/14527/wirelessssensor- network-wmn, “Wireless sensor network”.
- K. Sreenivasulu, E. V. Prasad, A. Subramanyam, “Performance Analysis of MANET Reactive Routing under Security”, International Journal of Computer
- Applications (0975 – 8887) volume-60 No.7, December 2012.
- Pooja Malik, “Consequences of limited manet resources”, International Journal of Advanced
- Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, Volume 2, Issue 1, January 2012 ISSN: 2277 128X.
- K. Sreenivasulu, E. V. Prasad, A. Subramanyam, “Performance Analysis of MANET Reactive Routing under Security”, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) volume-60 No.7, December 2012.
- Bimal H Patel, Parth D Shah, Harikrishna B Jethva, Nishidh Chavda, “Issues and Imperatives of Ad hoc Networks”, International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 62 – No.13, January 2013.
- C. HERNÁNDEZ and W. EDUARDO, "Quality of service routing and mechanisms for improving video streaming over mobile wireless ad hoc networks," Editorial Universitat Politècnica de València, 2015.
- Yih-Chun Hu and David B. Johnson. Caching Strategies in On-Demand Routing Protocols for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. In Proceedings of the Sixth Annual ACM/IEEE International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom’00), pages 231–242, Boston, MA USA, August 2000.
- P. Arce Vila, "Hierarchical routing and cross-layer mechanisms for improving video streaming quality of service over mobile wireless ad hoc networks," Editorial Universitat Politècnica de València, 2014.