Title: Intelligent Method for Cost Estimation during Software Maintenance
Author(s): Durga Puja, Raghav Mehra, BD Mazumdar
Dept. of CSE Bhagvant University Ajmer,Rajasthan
Dept. of CSE Bhagvant University Ajmer,Rajasthan
Dept. of CSE ICST SHEPA
Software maintenance is very important and time consuming task which require a lot of parameters to be taken care during the whole cycle of maintenance of software. The software maintenance engineer has used various cost estimation models in their research work like COCOMO-I, COCOMO-II, SLIM, SEER-SEM and FP. The problem with these models is that they require the complete data and information making any decision and benchmark. Therefore the cost of software maintenance varies with types and complexity of the software under the maintenance. We have identified the various factors which effects the cost of the software maintenance. The various cost estimation models require a lots of metrics and only after calculating the complete parameters, then only the software cost can be determined.
To reduce the software maintenance cost the proposed model has been introduce which can overcome the cost even there is missing information. The Probability factor (PF) method has been used which can overcome the cost. The proposed model used the various factors as input and accordingly the probability of each factors has been calculated.
- Some of quality factor (in different software) can't be computed
- Sometimes cost of compute all of quality factors are very high
- We need long time for compute all of quality factors
- In some cases we need to a lot of people (user, quality manager, member of quality assurance's team) to compute quality factors
Some other researchers have also deal with uncertainty in quality factor and matrices. Motameni et al. (2010) proposed a model for software quality with BNs and ISO9126 quality model. There model doesn't have last quality model's problems and can predict software quality with incomplete and uncertain data. Also by this model the time and cost of calculating software quality is reduced
- Scott R. Tilley Dennis B. Smith “Coming Attractions in Program Understanding” Technical Report CMU/SEI-96-TR-019, ESC-TR-96-019 December 1996.
- Michael P. O’Brien “Software Comprehension – A Review & Research Direction" ,2003.
- Cain, J.W., & McCrindle, R.C., “Software Visualisation using C++ Lenses”, 1998
- A.v. Mayrhauser and M. Vans, “Program Comprehension during Software Maintenance and Evolution,” IEEE Computer, vol. 12, pp. 44-55, 1995.
- M. Koch, “Introduction to CSCW,” Technical University of Munich, Germany http://www11.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/cscw/, 1996.
- Landauer, T. K., Foltz, P. W., & Laham, D. (1998). “Introduction to Latent Semantic Analysis” . Discourse Processes, 25, 259-284
- Dunsmore A. “Comprehension and Visualisation of Object-Oriented Code for Inspections “Empirical Foundations of Computer Science (EFoCS) EFoCS-33-98, 1998.
- Sneed,H. M., & Bavaria,A., "Source Animation as a means of Program Comprehension for object-oriented System" IEEE, 2000.
- Deimel, L., Naveda, J., (1990), “Reading Computer Programs: Instructor’s Guide and Exercises”, Technical Report CMU/SEI-90-EM-3, Software Engineering Institute,Carnegie Mellon University.
- Burd, L., Munro, M., & Young, P., (2000), “Using Virtual Reality to Achieve Program Comprehension”, http://www.year2000.co.uk/munro.html.
- Margaret-Anne Storey, “Theories, tools and research methods in program comprehension: past, present and future” Springer Science + Business Media, LLC 2006. Software Qual J (2006) 14:187–208 DOI 10.1007/s11219-006-9216-4.
- Wang Kechao, “Overview of Program Comprehension” 2012 International conference on Computer Science and Electronics Engineering. 978-0-7695-4647-6/12 $26.00 © 2012 IEEE. DOI 10.1109/ICCSEE.2012.285.
- Letovsky, S., (1986), "Cognitive Processes in Program Comprehension", Empirical Studies of Programmers: 1st Workshop, p 58.
- Michael P. O’Brien “Expectation-based, inference-based, and bottom-up software comprehension” JOURNAL OF SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE AND EVOLUTION: RESEARCH AND PRACTICE J. Softw. Maint. Evol.: Res. Pract. 2004; 16:427–447 Published online in Wiley Inter Science (www.interscience.wiley.com). DOI: 10.1002/smr.307
- Collard,M.L., Kagdi, H.H., & Maletic., J.I., "An XML-Based Lightweight C++ Fact Extractor" IEEE,2002
- Biggerstaff T.J., Mitbander B.W. and Webster D. 1993. The concept assignment problem in program understanding. In Proceedings of the 15th international conference on Software Engineering, pp. 482–498.
- Soloway, E., Ehrlich, K., (1984), "Empirical Studies of Programming Knowledge", IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, IEEE Computer Society, Vol. SE-10, No. 5, September
- Chen Peter & Xiaolei, Du “Improving software comprehension process by adoption of cognitive theories in large scale complex software maintenance”, University of Gothenburg Chalmers University of Technology, Department of computer science and engineering, Goteborg, Sweden, June 2012.
- Simon, H “Cognitive Models Bottom-up”, Seminar on program analysis and program comprehension, June 23, 2014.
- Wei, S., " A survey and categorization of program comprehension Techniques", IEEE,2002
- D. F. Jerding, ISVis, http://www.cc.gatech.edu/morale/tools/isvis/isvis.html
- P. K. Linos, A Preliminary Report on Program Comprehension Tools (PCT's), Tennessee Technological University, http://www.csc.tntech.edu/~linos/pcts.html
- MicroGold Software Inc., With Class 98, http://www.microgold.com
- Program Comprehension Tools Bibliography: http://www.csc.tntech.edu/~linos/pctinfo.html
- TakeFive Software, SNiFF+, http://www.takefive.com
- Yin.,M., Li.,B., & Tao., C., "Using Cognitive Easiness Metric for Program Comprehension" IEEE,2008
- P. Young, “Program Comprehension”, Visualisation Research Group, Center for Software Maintenance, University of Durham, 1996.
- P. Young, Software Visualisation, Visualisation Research Group, Centre for Software Maintenance, University of Durham, 1996
- LOOK!, Objective Software Ltd, 1 Michaelson Square, Kirkton Campus, Livingston, EH54 7DP, UK.
- A.Dunsmore, “Survey of Object-Oriented Defect Detection Approaches and Experiences in Industry”, Technical Report – EFoCS-36-2000, Computer Science Department, Strathclyde University, August 2000.
- Alastair Dunsmore, Marc Roper, and Murray Wood "Practical Code Inspection for Object-Oriented Systems" 2000, IEEE
- Von Mayrhauser, A. and Vans, A. M., "Program understanding behavior during debugging of large scale software", in Proceedings of Seventh workshop on Empirical studies of programmers, 1997, pp. 157–179.
- Shneiderman, B. and Mayer, R., "Syntactic / semantic interactions in programmer behaviour: a model and experimental results", International Journal of Computer and Information Sciences, vol. 8, no. 3, 1979, pp. 219 - 238.
- Pennington, N., (1987), "Comprehension Strategies in Programming", Empirical Studies of Programmers: 2nd Workshop, p 100.
- Von Mayrhauser, A. and Vans, A. M., "From program comprehension to tool requirements for an industrial environment", in Proceedings of Second Workshop on Program Comprehension, Capri, Italy, 1993, pp. 78-86.
- Sim, S. E. and Storey, M.-A. A Structured Demonstration of Program Comprehension Tools. In Proceedings of Seventh Working Conference on Reverse Engineering (Toronto, Ontario, Canada, 1999), IEEE Computer Society, 184.
- Mayrhauser, A. v. and Lang, S. On the Role of Static Analysis during Software Maintenance. In Proceedings of 7th International Conference on Program Comprehension (Pittsburgh, PA, 1999), IEEE Computer Society, 170-177.
- Knight, C.(1998) Visualization for Program Comprehension: Information and Issues.
- K. Chen, V. Rajlich, “Case Study of Feature Location Using Dependence Graph,” In Proceedings of the 9th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension, Los Alamitos, 2000, pp 241-249.
- A. Kohler. Der C/C++-Projektbegleiter. dpunkt.verlag, 69115 Heidelberg, 2007.
- Schauer, R and Keller, R. K. Integrative Levels of Program Comprehension, 2008 15th Working Conference on Reverse Engineering.
- Deng, F. and Jones, A. J, Weighted System Dependence Graph, 2012 IEEE Fifth International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation.
- Tilley, S. R., Paul, S., & Smith, D. B., 1996 “Towards a Framework for Program Understanding”, 4th International Workshop on Program Comprehension.
- Tjortjis, C., Sinos, L., & Layzell, P. (2003). Facilitating Program Comprehension by Mining association Rules from Source Code, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC'03), pp. 125-132.
- Tsarkov, , & Horrocks, I. (2006). FaCT++ Description Logic Reasoner: System Description, International Joint Conference on Automated Reasoning (IJCAR 2006).
- Von Mayrhauser, A., & Vans, A. M. (1994). Comprehension Processes During Large Scale Maintenance, 16th International Conference on Software Engineering.
- Walenstein, A. (2002). Cognitive Support in Software Engineering Tools: A Distributed Cognition Framework. PhD thesis. Simon Fraser University.
- Walkinshaw, N., Roper, M., & Wood, M. (2005). Understanding Object-oriented Source Code from the Behavioral Perspective, Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC'05), pp. 215-224.
- Rajlich, V., & Wilde, N.(2002). The Role of Concepts in Program Comprehension, Proceedings of the 10th IEEE International Workshop on Program Comprehension (IWPC'02), pp. 271-278.
- Haarslev, V., Moller, R., & Wessel, M. (2004). Querying the Semantic Web with Racer+ nRQL, KI-2004 International Workshop on Applications of Description Logics (ADL'04).
- Devanbu, P. T., Brachman, R. J., Selfridge, P. G., & Ballard, B. W. (1990). LaSSIE - a Knowledge-based Software Information System, Proceedings of the 12th international conference on Software engineering. Nice, France.
- Brooks, R. (1983). Towards a Theory of the Comprehension of Computer Programs. International Journal of Man-Machine Studies, 18(6), pp. 542-554.
- Weinand A., Gamma E., Marty R.: Design and Implementation of ET++, a Seamless Object-Oriented application Framework. Structured Programming Vol. 10, No. 2, 1989.
- Sametinger. J, “Improving program comprehension of object oriented software with object-oriented documentation” 1993.
- Vinz.,B.L., & Etzkorn., L.H., "Improving program comprehension by combining code understanding with comment understanding" IEEE,2008.
- Kadar., R., & Sulaiman., S., "The Effectiveness of Zoom Visual Flow (ZViF) Technique in Program Comprehension Activities" IEEE, 2010.
- Kothari., S.C., "Scalable Program Comprehension for Analyzing Complex Defects”, IEEE,2008.
- Cséri.,T., ugyi., Z.S., & Porkoláb.,Z. "Rule-Based Assignment of Comments to AST Nodes in C++ Programs" , IEEE,2012. ACM 978-1-4503-1240-0/12/09
- Paydar. S, et. al. “A Semantic Web Based Approach for Design Pattern Detection from Source Code” 2012, 2nd International eConference on Computer and Knowledge Engineering (ICCKE), October 18-19, 978-1-4673-4476-0/12/$31.00 ©2012 IEEE. Page 289-294.
- Aris.,T.N.M., & Nazeer., S.N., "Object-Oriented Programming Semantics Education based on Intelligent Agents" , IEEE, 2011, pp. 404-407.
- Ala Abuthawabeh.,A., & Zeckzer., D., "IMMV: An Interactive Multi-Matrix Visualization for Program Comprehension" IEEE, 2013.
- Blinman, S. et, al. “Program Comprehension: Investigating effects of naming styles and documentation” Copyright © 2005, Australian Computer Society, Inc. This paper appeared at the 6th Australasian User Interface Conference (AUIC2005), Newcastle. Conferences in Research and Practice in Information Technology, Vol. 40. M. Billinghurst and A. Cockburn, Eds. Reproduction for academic, not-for profit purposes permitted provided this text is included.
- Dunsmore, A. “Comprehension and Visualisation of Object-Oriented Code for Inspections” Empirical Foundations of Computer Science (EFoCS) Department of Computer Science University of Strathclyde Livingstone Tower Glasgow G1 1XH, U.K. August 1998.
- Singh, R., et al “Dependence cache slicing - A case study” published in Computing Trendz Journal of SMS Varanasi. Vol. III, No. 2, July 2013.ISSN 2230-9152. http://www.smsvaranasi.com/Computing_Trendzt_journal.htm.
- Sneed, M. H et, al. “Source Animation as a means of Program Comprehension for object-oriented Systems” IEEE, 2000. 0-7695-0656-9/00.
- Tjortjis, C. et, al “From System Comprehension to Program Comprehension” Proceedings of the 26 th Annual International Computer Software and Applications Conference (COMPSAC’02) 0730-3157/02 $17.00 © 2002 IEEE.
- Rajlich, V. et, al “The Role of Concepts in Program Comprehension” Copyright 2002 IEEE. Published in the Proceedings of IWPC 2002, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, ISBN 0-7695-1495-2, pp.271-278.
- Limpiyakorn, Y. et al. “Applying the signature concepts to plan-based program understanding” Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Maintenance (ICSM’03), 1063-6773/03 $17.00 © 2003 IEEE.
- Mahmoud, A et, al. “Evaluating Software Clustering Algorithms in the Context of Program Comprehension” ICPC 2013, San Francisco, CA, USA 978-1-4673-3092-3/13/$31.00 c 2013 IEEE pp. 162-171.
- Kanellopoulos, Y. et, al “Data Mining Source Code to Facilitate Program Comprehension: Experiments on Clustering Data Retrieved from C++ Programs” 2003.
- Zhang, Y. et, al “An Ontology-based Approach to Software Comprehension- Reasoning about Security Concerns” Computer Software and Applications Conference, 2006. COMPSAC '06. 30th Annual International (Volume:1 ) DOI 10.1109/COMPSAC.2006.27. IEEE.
- S Sottet, F Jouault “Program comprehension” Proc. 5th Int. Workshop on Graph-Based Tools, 2009.
- Harman, M. “Search Based Software Engineering for Program Comprehension” 15th IEEE International Conference on Program Comprehension (ICPC'07) 0-7695-2860-0/07 $20.00 © 2007.
- Dietrich, J. et, al. “Using social networking and semantic web technology in software engineering – Use cases, patterns, and a case study” The Journal of Systems and Software 81 (2008) 2183–2193.
- Bradley L. Vinz et, al “Improving program comprehension by combining code understanding with comment understanding” Knowledge-Based Systems 21 (2008) 813–825.
- Y. Manman, “Using Cognitive Easiness Metric for Program Comprehension” Software Engineering and Data Mining (SEDM), 2010 2nd International Conference on 23-25 June 2010 Page(s): 134 – 139, Chengdu, China IEEE.
- S.C. Kothari “Scalable Program Comprehension for Analyzing Complex Defects” The 16th IEEE International Conference on Program Comprehension. 978-0-7695-3176-2/08 $25.00 © 2008 IEEE DOI 10.1109/ICPC.2008.
- Feigenspan, J. et, al. “How to Compare Program Comprehension in FOSD Empirically – An Experience Report” FOSD '09 Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Feature-Oriented Software Development Pages 55-62. ACM New York, NY, USA ©2009.
- Feigenspan, J. et, al. “Program Comprehension of Feature-Oriented Software Development”
- Deng. F. et, al. “Weighted System Dependence Graph” 2012 IEEE Fifth International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation.
- Soh, Z. “Context and Vision: Studying Two Factors Impacting Program Comprehension” 2011 19th IEEE International Conference on Program Comprehension. 1063-6897/11 $26.00 © 2011 IEEE DOI 10.1109/ICPC.2011.37. Pages 258-261.
- Freitas, J. L el. al. “A Comment Analysis approach for Program Comprehension” 2012 IEEE 35th Software Engineering Workshop. 1550-6215/13 $26.00 © 2013 IEEE DOI 10.1109/SEW.2012.8.
- Haiduc, S. et. al “Supporting Program Comprehension with Source Code Summarization” 2012
- Binkley, D et. al “The impact of identifier style on effort and comprehension” Empir Software Eng (2013) 18:219–276. DOI 10.1007/s10664-012-9201-4.
- Singh, R et. al “Dependence cache slicing –A case study” SMS Varanasi.
- Banker. D , Rajiv “Software complexity and maintainability” 1992.
- Banker. D , Rajiv “SOFTWARE COMPLEXITY AND SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE COSTS” 1992
- “How to save on software maintenance costs” Omnext while paper, March 2010.
- Kasto. N et al. “Measuring the difficulty of code comprehension tasks using software metrics” Proceedings of the fifteenth Australasian computer education conference (ACE2013), Adelaide, Australia. Conference in research and practice in information technology (CRPIT, Vol. 136.
- Feigenspan, J. et al. “ Exploring software measures to access program comprehension”
- Hayes, J. H et al “A Metrics-Based Software Maintenance Effort Model”
- “Software Effort Estimation An Exploratory Study of Expert”
- J. C. GRANJA-ALVAREZ et al. “A Method for Estimating Maintenance Cost in a Software Project: A Case Study” SOFTWARE MAINTENANCE: RESEARCH AND PRACTICE, VOL. 9, 161–175. 1997 by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
- Welker, K.D. and Oman, P.W. Software Maintainability Metrics Models in Practice, Journal of Defense Software Engineering, Volume 8, Number 11, November/December 1995, 19-23.
- Agent Based Code Comprehension Model Using Semantic Knowledge Base In IJERT, Volume. 3, Issue. 05, May - 2014. (ISSN: 2278-0181) www.ijert.org
Durga Puja, Raghav Mehra, BD Mazumdar"Intelligent Method for Cost Estimation during Software Maintenance"International Journal Of Engineering And Computer Science (IJECS), https://www.ijecs.in, Volume 6 Issue 5, May 2017, 21245-21257, DOI: 10.18535/ijecs/v6i5.11